Premature graying of hair could be a thing of concern to young adults, who are in their 20s or 30s. This is because the gray hair could make them look older than they really are.
Premature grey hair can be caused by a myriad of reasons such as albinism, vitiligo, genetics, smoking, hypothyroidism, stress vitamin B12 deficiency, pollution, hormonal imbalance, use of hair products you are allergic to or unsuitable for your hair type.
Gray hair starts to appear due to the low production of melanin, the pigment that gives hair its dark color. As we grow older, our body produces fewer melanocyte cells, the cells responsible for melanin production.
Here are some tips and good practices, to consider, when dealing with premature graying of hair;
- Endeavor to eat healthy and nutritious well-balanced diet. This would ensure you are getting an adequate amount of vitamins and minerals as deficiency of vitamins and minerals could lead to premature graying of hair.
- Stop the bad habit of smoking as smoking promotes free radicals to be formed in our body. These free radicals lead to oxidative stress and reduced melanin production which could cause premature grey hairs.
- Stay away from stress or stressful situations as stress, anxiety, hypertension could lead to premature gray hairs.
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as oily fish, nuts, and seeds as omega-3 fatty acid is important for lustrous shiny hair and reduced graying of hair. You could also consult with your doctor to take omega-3 fatty acid supplements.
- Refrain from using harsh hair products as such products could reduce melanin levels in your hair. Opt for hair products with natural ingredients instead.
Below are 29 natural home remedies and treatments for premature grey hair;
1. Amaranth Leaf: Apply Amaranth Leaf Paste To Hair. Rinse Thereafter.
2. Clove Oil: Massage Hair With Eugenol Oil (Clove Oil).
3. Onion: Apply Onion Juice To Scalp Of Hair. Rinse Thereafter.
4. Coconut Oil: Massage Coconut Oil To Scalp.
5. Copper Supplement: Take Copper Supplement.
6. Black Sesame Seed: Eat Black Sesame Seeds.
7. Tea Mixture: Use Mixture Of Rosemary And Sage Tea On Hair.
8. Black Tea: Apply Black Tea To Hair. It Helps Darken The Hair.
9. Aloe Vera: Apply Aloe Vera Gel To Hair.
10. Indian Gooseberry: Apply Indian Gooseberry Oil Or Pulp To Your Hair.
11. Black Pepper: Massage A Mixture Of Black Pepper And Curd To Hair And Scalp.
12. Neem Oil: Apply Neem Oil To Hair And Scalp.
13. Blackstrap Molasses: Consume Blackstrap Molasses.
14. Lemon Juice: Apply Mixture Of Coconut Oil And Lemon Juice To Hair.
15. Lauki: Massage Bottle Gourd Juice (Lauki) To Hair.
16. Folic Acid: Consume Foods Rich In Folic Acid Such As Dark Green Veggies, Cowpeas, Leafy Veggies.
17. Curry: Apply Curry Leave Tea To Your Hair.
18. Guava: Apply Guava Leave Paste To Scalp.
19. Ghee: Massage Scalp With Ghee Or Clarified Butter.
20. Henna: Apply Henna To Your Hair ( It Is A Natural Colourant).
21. Biotin: Consume Food Rich In Biotin Such As Tomatoes, Yeast, Walnut, Cucumbers, Etc.
22. Ligustrum: Apply Ligustrum Paste To Hair. Ligustrum (Wild Privet) Helps To Restore Hair’s Natural Colour.
23. Chamomile Tea: Massage A Brew Of Chamomile To Scalp.
24. Brahmi: Massage Hair With Brahmi Hair Oil.
25. Buttermilk: Apply Buttermilk To Hair. It Is A Natural Conditioner.
26. Indian Ginseng: Apply Indian Ginseng (Ashwagandha) To Scalp. It Helps Improve Hair Melanin Content.
27. Arnica: Apply Arnica Flower Oil To Hair.
28. Ginger: Consume Ginger.
29. Bhringraj: Apply Bhringraj (Eclipta Alba) To Hair.
Pin To Pinterest